First Lutheran church exists to carry out the Great Commission and the Great Commandment by ministering to the community through evangelism, discipleship, ministry, fellowship, service & worship.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
Everybody needs a place along his journey where he can sense the presence of God and worship Him; where he can receive spiritual strength and guidance for the week ahead; where he can belong to a caring group of people who encourage him along the way.
We at this church have learned to know Jesus Christ, the Son of God, as the Savior of the world, who comes to us in His Word, in Baptism, and in His Holy Spirit to guide us through this life.
We invite you to experience the love of God along with us by participating in our weekly celebration of His goodness.
OUR 80 YEAR HISTORY
In 1936 the Southern California (now Pacific Southwest) District of the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod sent representatives from the Mission Board to assess the prospects for establishing a congregation in El Monte.
The first services were held that August at the Odd Fellows Hall on north Tyler. In April of 1937 officers were elected, a constitution adopted and an application for membership in Synod were submitted. In 1940 property on Tyler, north or Garvey was acquired and Pastor Henry Elfman was called to be our full-time pastor. In Sept. 1944 we opened our first Christian Day School. By 1947 our church had a new Pastor, former Army Chaplain Herbert Vogal, and had grown to over 200 adult members, fostering the move to the property on Santa Anita next to the 10 Freeway in 1950. In 1951 Vogel was called back to active duty and Pastor George Fisher was called. Under his ministry the largest numerical growth of the First Evangelical Lutheran Church occurred. Upon his retirement in 1976, Pastor Harold Daum accepted the call to be our Pastor. In 1987 the El Monte Redevelopment Agency bought our property and helped us procure the property of our current location at 4900 Kings Row. It is here that Pastor Daum encouraged our congregation to focus on a multi-cultural ministry; reaching out to people in Hispanic, Cambodian, Vietnamese and Chinese homes. In 1997, Rev. Ken Christensen became the next Pastor and served nearly 10 years before declining health prevented him from continuing his ministry. On Jan 1st, 2007 Rev Luke Huang became our current Pastor. He leads our English and Mandarin worship services. Pastor Luke has led efforts to become a more active presence in the community through participation in Earth Day and Trunk or Treat events as well as supporting the El Monte-South El Monte Emergency Resource Association. Together we see God’s will in our plans for the future of this congregation.
Pastor Luke has been at First Lutheran since January 2007. He leads our English and Mandarin worship services. Pastor Luke has led efforts to become a more active presence in the community and together we see God’s will in our plans for the future of this congregation.